03 June 2008

Stranger Danger

I just got an email from a friend about a child being abducted at Sam's. I checked Snopes out and it was a false story. Still, I don't feel we should overlook the warning. Urban legends, myths, and other folklore have a real place in our society. Those stories are there, yes, to frighten us a little, but more importantly, to impress upon us the diligence we need to be facing life with. We need to be aware of our surroundings at all times and makes sure we don't become lackadaisical in our supervision of our children.
I thought I should share a recent experience of my own to illustrate. About a month ago, I was supposed to be going to visit Daisey in Connecticut. I was really excited about the trip and all. It was just going to be Emily and myself going: Eric had to work. Well, I kept having these dreams/visions/thoughts that Emily was going to end up missing/dead. I saw in clear detail the place this would happen. I promptly canceled my trip and felt a wonderful peace of mind after making that decision. Now, I don't know if Emily really would have ended up missing, hurt, or dead. However, I do know that I followed a prompting and received peace as a reward when I heeded that prompting. As parents, we are entitled to those and should act upon them. However, we also shouldn't just rely on them. We should be careful in all of our doings. Emily could go missing just as easily here, so I've taken it as a constant: be aware at all times where your daughter is.
Hope that might help someone.

No comments: