08 June 2008

Reverence Is Love

Do you remember this song from Primary? "Reverence is more than just quietly sitting: It's thinking of Father above, A feeling I get when I think of his blessings. I'm reverent, for reverence is love. When I'm reverent it shows in my words and my deeds. The pathway to follow is clear. And when I am reverent, I know in my heart Heavenly Father and Jesus are near."
Well, to put this as short and, though not sweet, as unoffensive as possible, some people really need to learn the definition of "reverence" and also need to re-evaluate how a child learns to be reverent. We've discovered that our area has a zero tolerance of children learning this skill. You squeak, you're outta there! So, we actually left Stake Conference after the first hour as there was not really a place to correct Emily as they kept the foyer doors open throughout the meeting and another individual made it his duty to shush our child even as Eric was attempting to do so.
Therefore, I must say that this individual and those others who shot looks at the SMALL noises (yes, Emily made noise, but an adult has the choice to ignore it and pay attention to the speaker rather than turn around and make faces of disgust at a normal noise level of a child who IS showing as much "reverence" as she understands) are NOT showing reverence, as "reverence is love".
And, dang it! Emily was so cute in her strawberry shirt outfit her Mema bought her while they were down visiting last month! It went perfectly with her Dorothy red slippers Stef got her to use for her Halloween outfit last October! Ah, c'est la vie!

5 comments:

Ryan said...

So funny that you posted the words of that song, because as soon as I got home from the meeting that's the exact song I turned to. I will be sending an email to the Stake Pres about the whole thing. Don't worry ... no specifics will be mentioned. I just still can't believe that usher.

miss said...

I can't go to stake conference.

I go to the quietest singles' ward ever. No kids. So, I do not block out kids well.

I get so distracted by cute kids (whether they make noise or not) that I don't listen.

But this is mostly my problem...I'm just a crumudgeon single person! What am I gonna do when they kick me out of the singles' ward?

Lori said...

ok, so i had that song in my head ALL day yestarday! luckily, i really like that song, so i wasn't mad at you :)
I think our zero tolerance level at church is a southern influence, "children should be seen and not heard"
our ward is sooo quiet compared to other wards, my sisters ward has 150 primary children, that is a loud ward, not ours.

The Doctors Wife said...

yeah, I'm bad, I don't even attempt Stake conference with my kids. I get nothing out of it because I spend most of my time keeping the kids quiet. Occasionaly Mike will stay home with the kids so I can go.

Boyd Box said...

They need to seriously lay off the children-reverence kick. I had no idea that people skipped conference for these reasons. I hate to miss meetings, but if that's the standard here, I don't know what else I can do.
Oh, and I'm glad the song wasn't too annoying, Lori.