03 June 2008

90-degree Turns

The last time I drove a big van was when I worked out in Cali. I was able to renew those driving skills as I got to drive Big Bertha (my name for the 15-passenger van borrowed from the ever-generous Peacock family) yesterday to deliver our young campers to the FDR State Park to enjoy their week of Girls' Camp. I was given the warning to kind of drive like a grandma as taking turns too quickly could basically rip the end of the van off. So, easy-goes it.
I'm not sure how long it took us to get up to camp, but nothing was aided by the route we took. We had several 90-degree turns to make getting on the appropriate highways...or rather to stay on the 116.
After dropping off said girls to their respective sites (not to mention actually FINDING the site was a chore in itself since no one thought to give further direction), Stef and I found a place to eat and then headed home...on a different route. An hour and a-half later, we arrived home. Much more direct and none of the crazy hairpin turns. Of course, we realized that had we just skipped the direction to get on the 116 and continued laughing about "Buttsmell Farm" (aka Butts Mill Farm), we would have discovered the faster route on the way up instead of the way back. Unbeknownst to us, the 41 (which we were on until we took the 116) connected directly with the road taking us into camp...with signs, to boot!!
At least we figured it out before we had to go back and pick up the girls...except upon discovering that another individual had to borrow the Peacock's other large van, I DON'T have to make that trip again this week. Darn! And I was so looking forward to a quicker trip! =P

2 comments:

The Doctors Wife said...

FDR state park was my favorite girls camp site when I was in YW. I can still remember the snake we found in one of the cabins, water fights in the kitchen with the sprayer thingy, and the constant pranks on the first years. Thankyou for bringing back such good memories.

Stefanie said...

It's always an adventure with us Liz, but then if it wasn't we'd have nothing to blog about. :o)