21 June 2008

Scared

Emily and I were invited to the Bennion's for a pool party yesterday. It was a great turnout with tons of small children around. Emily loves water, so she was in heaven.
After her toes were completely shriveled, we got out for a little to eat lunch. As she crammed another bite of her PB sandwich into her already stuffed mouth, she compacted it onto the roof of her mouth. Of course, this started her choking and trying to spit it out. I tried to help her pry it out, but every time I tried to put my finger in her mouth, she'd bite down as hard as possible. We finally got it out and she could breathe again.
Don't worry, that wasn't nearly as scary as what happened next. We were finishing up lunch when Emily snuck back to the pool without her floaties on. She walked down the steps into the pool and then kind of pushed off into the water where she couldn't touch (yes, it was only 3 1/2 feet deep, but much deeper than Emily is tall). Stef starts shouting to get the ladies' attention who are right there in the pool as I bound over and into the pool. All I know is that I couldn't make a sound and was making a beeline for my child. As her head went under water a second time, I reached her and pulled her out. I was so scared! Somehow, she didn't swallow any water (which is amazing because she drinks it while she swims...guess panic makes you hold your breath, eh?). I carried her out and we just hugged each other. She let me hold her for a little while as I tried to calm down and NOT cry. I was definitely more shaken up than she was as she promptly wanted back in the water (with floaties). I stayed two steps away from her the remainder of the event (which is a big duty when you have no energy).

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Stef told me about this. As a former lifeguard, parties with lots of kids are always scary because all the parents are so engulfed with their own kids, they don't pay attention to anything else that is going on around them. Glad everything is OK.

Momma Sarah said...

SCARY! That is another reason why I don't like water! Every year our Elder's Quorum puts on a 'Day at the Lake'. I don't go in the water because I'm too scared someone will get 'forgotten' and we'd have a 'stituation'. It stresses me out too much!

I'm glad everything turned out ok and Emily is safe!

The Doctors Wife said...

I think that is every parents worst fear. My sisters son somehow got in her gated pool area a couple of years ago and fell in. She found him floating in the deep end a few minutes later. She did CPR and brought him back and today he is a perfectly happy 4 year old. Heavenly Father deffinately played a big part in saving his life.