06 September 2009

Trying to be Like Emily

My daughter inspired this in conjunction with my reading the talk by President Uchtdorf in the September 2009 Ensign entitled "The Influence of Righteous Women." A thought came to my mind that there are certain talks and articles that I have heard or read that have given me the testimony I have of the gospel of Jesus Christ. How can I expect my children to understand where those testimonies came from if I do not prepare them with the same materials which brought that Spirit to me?
I am creating a Spiritual Notebook. I want to keep a binder with talks that are important to me and/or Eric. These talks will be a "quick" reference for us to use to teach our children specific aspects of the gospel. This will also require us to read more diligently the talks given by our Church authorities as we will select those talks that have greatest impact upon our lives. On my mission, we had "training binders" which had a small catalog of selected talks with different emphases. So, in like manner, I want a book to help my children understand important aspects to be a sort of companion to the Standard Works.
We continue to gain further insight as we grow, so this will be an ongoing project. I am excited for such an important purpose to my study of the words of the prophets.
What are some of the most impacting talks/articles you have heard/read?

1 comment:

The Roes said...

I think you know the one that has impacted me the most. But for anyone reading this, it is "Self-Reliance" by Boyd K Packer. It gave me a better understanding to how we should take care of ourselves and to help others in times of need. When I lost my job, everyones advice was to get on all the government programs available (WIC, food stamps, etc). I knew this was something I could not do as I already had a testimony of what is contained in this article, but when I did look into the programs, we happened to make "too much" money to qualify. Call that fate or divine intervention. But it will be something I teach my children...Do not rely on Government programs. Seek help or assistance from family and then the church. Government is not the first choice, the last choice, nor should it be a choice at all.