20 September 2009

Death vs Unconscious

Judge me as you will, but I swear, we weren't watching anything terrible, though, I can't remember what it was. Anyway, one of the characters accidentally got hit on the head and was knocked unconscious. Emily immediately turns to me and says in an empathetic voice, "He dead, Mommy." I stiffle my giggle (I mean, really, why does she think the person is dead? and, have I mentioned that she plays CPR?) and reply, "He's not dead. He just got hit on the head and is sleeping." She gives me a questioning look, seems to process something and then asks, "Like a monkey?" Yes, like a monkey, my dear.
It took me a few days to figure this one out. I couldn't understand why she would associate a monkey with being unconscious. I then realized, after we played Mario Party, that it was the getting hit on the head part she was actually referring to. There's a game w/i that game that has a race of getting your monkey up the pole the fastest. The difficulty being the coconuts that are dropping from above and not knowing which side of the pole you need to swing the monkey to prevent it from getting knocked on the head, throwing the monkey back down the pole and freezing movement for a moment.
So, in case any of you are wondering, if you get knocked unconscious, it's "like a monkey" and you'll be okay.

On another note, Emily's comprehension of language astounds me! When offered something she doesn't want, she'll tell us, "No, I not want _____. I want _____, though." Really, "though?" Or, tonight she wanted to do something that wasn't a good choice. When we told her that it was bad to do that, she whipped out a pretend picture to show us "someone" else doing this (okay, so it is also the depth of her imagination). Where did the concept of "evidence" come in to justify permission for a desired action? Definitely, by raising kids, you learn more about yourself and the magic of learning/discovery than by anything else!

2 comments:

Lori said...

missed our nursery time together :(
em is cute, lots of personality, i like kids with personality. i sent my sis that pic of eric with the girls on his shoulders to show her how cute they were, she agreed, very cute!

Em said...

Gavin's word is "actually." As in "Actually, mom, it's raining!" too cute!!