14 September 2009

It's All in the Voice

I was always charmed by the "southern drawl" as portrayed in the film "Gone with the Wind." As I encountered other cultures and regions, I was just as intrigued with other various accents. It wasn't until earlier this year that I received a compliment on my own accent.
Being from Missouri and small mid-western towns, there didn't seem to be too much exciting about the way I spoke or did anything (just ask the Beach Boys...they seemed to like all girls but marked the mid-west as only being "alright"). I'd grown accustomed to that fact and got over myself. But, then, one day, a gentleman who, lets just define as being one who hears a lot more than just words in a person's voice, commented that he likes to hear me speak and sing because he can hear the gentle rolling accent from my roots in Missouri.
What? You can identify me, little old me, by a particular way of speech? I thought that was a great compliment. I've had a few other people who have commented about the way I speak (particularly the phrasing I use) and have thought that was a cool compliment, too.
Anyway, using this story-teller voice of mine, I was reading books to my daughter. I use different voices for different characters when I get a chance to do so and was thus reading (btw, I once was offered a job simply by the way I read a book aloud) this afternoon.
When I finished, Emily asked to read the book back to me. She does this a lot and remembers quite a bit of what she heard. However, this time it was different. Not only did she "read" it back to me...she used different voices! It was so cute to hear her interpret the story and recreate voices of the animals.

No comments: