25 September 2009

Hannah the Hunter and Herder

As many of you know, we've had some issues with neighborhood dogs. Since Animal Control doesn't do anything about it AND they don't work on weekends in our area, we've taken it into our own hands to discourage dogs from coming onto our property.
I'm the proud owner of a Daisy BB Gun. When I was little, I really wanted one but never received one as a gift. So, I am really using the one my husband got us.
We pull it out to pop whichever dog or animal needs to be discouraged from our property. I've gotten to be a pretty good shot with it. Hey, and all of you wondering about cruelty to animals, it's such a low-powered gun that it won't penetrate skin AND it's more cruel for these dog owners to be letting their dogs run loose in the neighborhood. The BB gun is MUCH less dangerous than a vehicle.
Anytime Hannah sees me pull the gun out, she gets all sorts of excited. She knows there is some kind of "prey" out there. It's quite hilarious. This morning's prey were two squirrels running across the roof of my house. She doesn't bark at them, but she basically points them out to me.
Also, she will herd other dogs off the property. When we first moved in, we had a perimeter collar on her which trained her to her property line. Now, she won't cross that line without us, though there is no physical barrier. A few nights ago our neighbor's dog got loose (this one can't be helped, I understand). So, Hannah kept herding him off and wouldn't return to the house (remember, just over a yr ago, she was attacked from a K-9 police dog coming on our property) until he had crossed that line and was headed back to his home. Eric knocked on their door to notify him, while Hannah returned to our house.
So, my little Hannah-banna, you are a crack-up. It also goes to show how much influence a "parent" has on their "child" (not that I think I'm her mama, but I am her alpha...basically the same authority).

No comments: