24 May 2009

Terrifying Experience

Eric was assigned to go assist in a transition store in Prattville, Alabama. We've been there all weekend. We started out today by packing up the van and checking out before heading over to church. Church was great. Afterward, however, I had to come up with something for the girls and me to do for the 5 hours until Eric would get off work. Being the Sabbath, I had my work cut out for me (don't even add in the fact that it has been raining on and off all weekend making for a wet and muggy environment). I decided to go to a park in Montgomery. There was supposed to be a 6 block square of historical homes, so I could grab a few cool pictures as well.
The girls and I drove over to this park. It was vacant. No one around. Quiet. No big deal. I pulled Gianna out of her car seat and was holding her in one arm, had the keys in one pocket, my cell in the other and my camera looped around my arm. Emily walked next to me. However, as we started toward the park, I noticed a large, orange SUV with all dark-tinted windows slowly creeping toward us (the parking lot was simply a line of horizontal slots off a 3-lane road). My awareness was peaked but I figured I was just being paranoid. Then the SUV pulls up close to us. I look at the vehicle and consider getting back in the van with the girls. The SUV pulls back out and goes on down the street.
At this point, I think we're fine. Someone just lost or something. I take the girls into the park (again, remember, we are the only ones outside). We get to the side-center of the park and I notice the SUV circling around on the opposite side of the park. I start to worry. I am not in a familiar place. I don't really know what kind of area I have just driven into. I continue to watch the car finish the full circle around the park. The SUV again pulls into the parking lot, right next to my van and blocking my path from the park to my van. I start to wonder what I am going to do with two small children and basically nowhere to run.
I think. All I have on me are my car keys, my cell phone, and my camera. There's a little cash in the van. Nothing of any real value. I see two large men step out of the SUV and survey the area. By this time, I don't know if I was even breathing.
I quickly pull my cell phone out of my pocket and have a moment of hesitation about dialing 911. A quick glance at my children and I know I need to hit send. Immediately I have a woman on the line asking what my emergency is. I wonder if she will take me seriously and if someone will get to us in time. All the while, the men continue coming towards us. I have wandered into the center of the park, trying to see another exit or any other individuals out on this extremely muggy day.
The woman is taking down detailed descriptions of the vehicles, the men, as well as myself. I explain to her that these men don't have any children with them and it seems very odd that they should be at a park. I try to explain to her the location of the park. (Thank goodness I had my GPS navigate us there. I can still recall the names of the cross streets, but I also grab a visual of that to verify.) The lady asks me what the men are doing now and they have left the park and are at the SUV again. My stomach is tied up in knots, I can't even tell her the number I am calling from. I have no idea why they returned to their vehicle, but I am willing them to get back in their SUV and leave.
No. They open the back doors. I'm sweating bullets and wondering why the lady doesn't just tell me the police will be there soon. The two men pull out folding chairs. I relate this to the lady but request an officer to still report to the scene.
In a matter of seconds, these scary men become concerned about me and ask me, "Ma'am, are you alright?" I am now off the phone and know I need to respond to them. With a shaky voice, I explain that I'm okay, but that they really scared me by circling the park. They apologized and explained that they are just there to set up for a party and that we are welcome to join. I kind of nervously laugh and start steering Emily towards the entrance (she has to go potty at a time like this!). As we reach the entrance, I see the police car pull up. I speak to him as a police officer on bike arrives.
No, it was no longer a threatening situation. Everything is okay. I apologize for having them come out on a non-emergency situation. The officer reassures me that they would much rather come out on a suspicious report than to find a victim. They commended me on being a cautious parent and that these days you just don't know; that it is better to be safe than sorry.
In the end, (after finding a restroom for Emily to use) we do return to the park and Emily plays with the children of these two men. They were very generous and included us in a family celebration (their two 6 yr old daughters were sharing a birthday party at the park). I just felt awful that I was so terrified that I had to call 911 and have police show up to return that feeling of safety. However, I am very grateful for the prompt response of the Montgomery Police Department and the fact that it wasn't anything more than a scary moment.

2 comments:

Lori said...

yikes, that is scary, i would have totally peed my pants....so your back? our pool opened this weekend, hopefully the weather clears up and we can have ya over...tom took halle on saturday...it was soooo cold....your new dogs are really pretty

The Doctors Wife said...

I would have been freaked too. Especially after my walmart experience. You were smart to be aware of your surrounding area. I don't think I am that aware.