15 May 2009

Sweet Bliss

Yesterday I had one of those moments where I didn't want a thing to change. My house was calm (even though we had one of Emily's friends over while his mommy did some service at the elem. school): children playing quietly on the sofa, baby inspecting her fingers yet again, and beautiful Hannah lying contentedly on the wood floor. A gentle breeze flowing in through the windows.
Then I woke up to reality. We had been down to a local animal shelter earlier that morning and chose not just an additional dog, but two. We just couldn't bear to leave one of them there to face euthanizing as they are sisters.
They are a beautiful pair of mix-breed dogs (Basinji and German Shepherd). Their more quiet voices (Basinji's don't have a bark, per se) is not to say they don't have playful personalities.
Of course, the future is still in play and we haven't gotten our new family sorted out quite yet, but I would encourage those who desire to add a dog (or cat) to their family to look to your local shelter. I'm not saying you shouldn't be choosy, but give the pound puppy a chance!

1 comment:

miss said...

I am an Oprah watcher...and she had all these pets on today. She did a story on prison inmates training service dogs. I think I am going to look into getting a service dog when I move out (my dad's allegic so now wouldn't be good). She also plugged shelters. Good for you!