27 May 2009

How To Pry It Open

How do you extend the jaws of an animal when they are already as wide as they can go? This was my question after hearing the most terrifying whelping from the garage this afternoon.
I had my niece and nephews over today and had the puppies still in the garage. All the sudden, it sounds like one of the dogs is being killed. I can only imagine that one has pinned the other and snapped open the stitches (that weren't removed last Friday b/c they haven't healed enough) and I was going to find a dying animal.
It wasn't that gruesome, but nearly as troublesome. Nani somehow had gotten her mouth caught on the kennel door. Her mouth was stuck around the bars with her chin pinned between the latch and the bar next to the latch (leaving a very small space between said objects). I tried to help her open her jaw more but to no avail. I knew Koa was getting distressed and causing Nani more anxiety, so I threw open the other kennel door for her to escape as I tried to think through what needed to happen next. Somehow that was exactly what needed to happen. Nani was able to move forward just enough (prior to this, she was pulling backwards thinking that this would free her) to unlatch her top teeth and then change the position of her head to free her chin.
I thought she lost a tooth in the mess, but it doesn't appear that way. However, she will have to be evaluated when we go to have their stitches removed (hopefully) tomorrow. Can I stop having these real-life emergency problem-solving situations, please?

No comments: