23 May 2009

Human Fishpond

I took Emily and Gianna to Old Navy this morning. I thought nothing of taking the kids with me as I swung by to pick up some flip flops for each of us. Little did I realize that people can be psychotic when it comes to sales.
As we parked and got out of the van, I noticed a lot of people headed to Old Navy as well. Still, I did not know what awaited us inside. Upon entering the store, I was overwhelmed by the noise and the clustering people.
Clustering doesn't describe it. I witnessed people acting the same way as fish in a pond waiting for the anticipated food from above. A couple workers were high above on ladders pulling down the shoes and handing them to the first row of people crushed upon them. No one moved. They just kept collecting. People were so slammed up against each other that we eventually had to abandon the cart I had propped Gianna on in her car seat.
Deciding after about 10 minutes that it wasn't worth it, we did abandon the cart and headed for the door. About five feet from freedom and Emily begins wailing. She was so disappointed that she wasn't going to get the flip flops I had promised her (see previous post). I decided to dig in my heels and do what we went to do. I grabbed my girls and carried them into the crowd, maneuvering around some of the rudest people with whom I have ever come into contact. Within 5 minutes, I somehow came up with 2 pairs for Eric, 2 for Emily and a pair for me (there was a limit of 5). We then quickly moved to the front to wait in the long lines for checkout.
Because people did not care about the 5 pair restriction, the cashiers had to do each set of 5 as a different transaction. There were women with huge bags of shoes ahead of us. I knew we were going to be there for a long time. Sure enough, an hour and 45 minutes after entering the store, we finally escaped with our $4.95 purchase of 5 pairs of flip flops.
I have never witnessed this before nor do I ever wish to experience it again! Those of you that are faithful door-buster shoppers, power to you, but I'll leave it to you from now on!

1 comment:

The Doctors Wife said...

I thought about getting some flip flops but then realized Walmart has some for a $1.50 more and I think they are more comfortable. Next time, save time instead of money and get flip flops there. But beware of crazy ladies who like to yell.