29 April 2009

Why Are They There?


My dad always told this joke and it cracked us up at kids...or at least me. I thought my dad was a genius when he told this joke (and the one about the tenni-flat...you had to be there). As we passed this cemetary on the way to the Stake Center, my dad would ask, "Why is there a fence around the cemetary?" The punchline: "Because people are DYING to get in!" WHA-HAHAHAHAH! Okay, so it is funnier when you are only 5 years old, okay?
This is the church building I was blessed in and first attended as an infant and child (until I was 4, I think). The Independence Visitor's Center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is located behind/next to the stake center.
This hill may look insignificant to some, but I remember eating quite a few lunches between sessions of General Conferences as a child. It seemed like a very steep hill then.
Behind the stake center was a large, open field. It was here that they held the annual Pagent. One year, I stirred a boiling pot of apple butter over a fire in a "pioneer" type dress and had my picture taken for the newspaper. (I just realized that I must have been cuter as a small child...my picture was taken and published in several places. Then I got glasses and got ugly. No one wanted my picture anymore! =) ) They no longer hold the pagent there. I've heard different reasons why, so I won't publish rumor here.

1 comment:

The Roes said...

That WAS a steep hill. I think over the years the rain and winds have flattened it. =) [stillyg = how a hillbilly would spell stealing]