06 April 2009

Ties That Bind...or at Least Link

I'm too excited that I am not sure I can get all of my thoughts and feelings out on this one!!
Genealogy, also known as Family History, is an important aspect of my faith. We believe that ordinances must be performed for individuals to return to our Heavenly Father's (God's) presence. Some died without the opportunity. Believing in a perfectly just AND merciful God, we believe He has a way prepared for those individuals. Such is the work for the dead which we perform in the temples of the Lord. We are commanded by God to search out our ancestors and provide, vicariously, the saving ordinances mandatory for these individuals to return to His presence. We would be unable to do this had the Gospel of Jesus Christ not been restored in it's fullness. We believe that Elijah, as foretold in the Bible, has returned to the earth and provided the necessary keys for these ordinances to be performed.
Malachi 4:5-6 states:
"5 ¶ Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord:
"6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse."
I testify that this has happened. I have recently experienced the fulfillment of this prophesy in doing genealogy work of my own. As I searched our own genealogy for names to take to the temple when the Roes receive their own endowments, I came across a family surname that looked familiar. I immediately searched the documents I had for Mr. Jarrett. We DO have a linking ancestor and I only had to go back to the 1630's to find him!
Of course, there is more to this story, but not enough room to relate all the steps that occurred to my knowing and experiencing this Spirit of Elijah myself.

No comments: