27 February 2011

Wave Your Hand Like You Just Don't Care

Well, I kinda had to take that to heart in my new calling.
About a month ago, I was given a new calling: Primary Music Leader. I know a lot of you think that would be an easy calling for me. In all honesty, I was rather nervous and a bit apprehensive at taking on this role. But, with faith in every footstep, I accepted and have moved forward.
See, leading music has a lot of different aspects than just singing. Sure, I sing all the time and feel fairly confident doing that...but I prefer to do that in a group, not by myself and not standing in front of other people with the charge to keep everyone together. PLUS, it's teaching music to children. It was one thing for me to teach and play and sing with the nursery kids, but another for a WIDE variety or ages, reading abilities and personalities (not everyone likes to sing). I mean, come on! How intimidating can 1.5-3 year olds be? It's a WHOLE other story with kids who can talk and already have ideas about the world.
So, my first issue was to address the fact that I am not good with waving my hand to the time of the music. I can tap a foot and play a flute or even sing, but waving my hand distracts ME! So, I've had to wave it like I just don't care that I get off beat and that I'm probably looking a bit silly up there anyway. It's okay. Kids forgive you.
Next (and continually) I have to perfect my knowledge of these songs. I have so much studying to do and it always seems to go so much better at my house than it does in front of people. It may not be apparent to others, but I actually get stage fright and typically suffer at some point from a blank brain. No matter how much studying I do, that will always exist in some way. So, it's a matter of being in front of these children and finally feeling confident and that will lead my brain to release the words to me.
I know there is a lot of room for me to grow in this calling and I really am excited about it (now that I'm past the fear...kids don't really bite the music leader). I had a great time today doing music with them. There's a lot more work to go into this calling than what it felt like for my last calling, but I think I'll continue to enjoy it (of course, I'm sure I'll be extra nervous when we roll around to October for the Primary Presentation, but that's still about 8 months away).

2 comments:

The Doctors Wife said...

Primary Chorister was by far the most nerve racking calling that I have had. It wasn't so much the kids that made me nervous but the teachers. I don't have a singing voice and sometimes the looks on the teachers faces said it all. When it came down to it though I just had to tune everyone but the kids out.

The Roes said...

Glad to hear that someone else loses their train of thought. I will have these amazing Sharing Times planned and really thoughtful too. When I get up in front of the children, I lose it and pray the Spirit will help guide my lesson back on track. I also lose control over the younger group...I think Spring is DEFINITELY in the air for them! However, I'm sure you're amazing!