23 February 2011

Modesty and Chastity

As a missionary, I had to QUICKLY get over the uncomfortable feeling of teaching the law of chastity. I got thrown into the deep end when I went on splits one night (meaning, I went with another member of the Church while my missionary companion went with another) and taught a room full (seriously, this guy invited like 6 of his friends...all male, I might add) about the law and importance of chastity.
I think a lot of times we forget and overlook the importance of modesty in connection with chastity. Modesty is so important and keeps our thoughts and the thoughts of others in the correct paths.
I know I've bragged about how wonderful my daughter is, and yes, you are about to hear yet another story of how she makes me a better person.
This morning we got dressed: she for school, the rest of us for a funeral. I don't like to wear black to funerals. I know it is a socially acceptable color choice, but I always think of the newness that death really is. It's a time for that individual to begin the next phase of life. In thinking this way, I only had a few choices on skirts (I also don't go overboard with being the only brightly colored clothing in the mix). I pulled on my old khaki skirt and a top.
Before leaving for our various destinations, we knelt as a family to have prayer. Emily immediately looked down and saw my knees sticking out of my skirt. "Mommy," she says calmly, "that's a little not long 'nough." I quickly tugged the skirt down to where it should have been (clothing really slides around on me, and this was an older skirt, so it's a bit bigger than I need at this time, thus the reason it had climbed up when I knelt down).
I can't tell you how happy I am that my daughter, at such a young age, knows what is correct and doesn't mind helping others to make themselves more modest. I pray that she maintains this through her life instead of becoming a justifier.
It's funny because I once had an individual get upset with me and told me she hoped my child never had a leader like me. At that time, I knew that I hoped that she would have someone who is willing to instruct and teach what is true instead of what is trendy or easy. Little did I know that my daughter would embrace that so early on.
I'm as prone as any mortal to justify and excuse myself (seriously, read my above explanation of why my skirt was inappropriate even for a moment), but I really am working on it and having a daughter like mine helps me to reach those goals of perfection.

1 comment:

The Roes said...

Those two concepts really do go hand in hand. When we go to the free movies here, I always park right outside a store and walk through the store to avoid the frigid air. The store we go through happens to have the childrens' clothes at that door. There are some VERY cute Easter/spring dresses displayed and Haydn has pointed out that he finds them "beautiful". I explain to him now that those dresses are not modest as they are missing sleeves. Not that you can't make them modest, but I hope he catches onto that concept quickly and will be equally 'bothered' by immodesty.