05 February 2011

Inspiration

About a year and a-half ago I started a book club. It's had some ups and downs with attendance, but it keeps going. This is one thing that I hope can last a long, long time. Sometimes, though, as with most things, I wonder if it is worth the time and effort to keep on top of it. I've recently been evaluating this and then one of our members, The Beautiful Ms. M, says out of the blue, "Liz, I need you to email me. You have really inspired me to read."
That was my goal: to get people to read (and think about) books. If it happens for one person, then I've met my goal.
I really needed to hear that unsolicited to have the motivation to keep pushing forward with it and writing my reviews of books I've read. It's one thing for me to do that for myself, but I really appreciate hearing from those it has benefited to know that I'm not just being a selfish person going through this life, but that I can share my joy of reading with others.
So, as if keeping up with one club wasn't enough, I am collaborating with another friend to establish a sewing club here, too. Our first meeting will be this coming Thursday and there has already been a lot of interest. We'll just have to see how many people come. Although, selfishly, this one really serves me well as my co-founder is an experienced seamstress and tailor, so even if we are the only two who can come, I'll get a lot out of it.

2 comments:

April said...

I wish you lived near me because I would LOVE to be in your sewing club and book club! I just got a new sewing machine for Christmas and serger for my birthday and I definitely need help learning to use them! And I love reading too but I don't do it enough from books other than the scriptures.

kemeki said...

Any chance you guys would be willing to teach someone how to sew? And do you have to have your own machine, or is this hand sewing?

Not that I have time for it, but of course it sounds amazing! All of your endeavors do!

AND, while you definitely don't have to twist my arm to read, book club has kept me reading and allowed me to put at least a couple of minutes aside FOR ME (or book club) that I greatly appreciate.