07 February 2011

Musical Memories

Have you noticed how music can instantly take you back or make you think of someone?
When I hear a particular piece (I had to call Sarah and ask and she said she recalls it as being called "etude in e flat" but I can't find the right link for a sample), I think of my older sister. It especially reminds me of sitting in the front room at our piano teacher's house and listening to her play. I always wanted to learn to play, but we moved and I never went back to the piano (so, no asking me to play for anything b/c I never even mastered reading the bass clef).
Another piece of music is the William Tell Overture. Dad would put the record on and we'd all grab our stick horses and ride around in circles in our living room. I can't help but smile thinking of the fun we had doing that as kids.
I ALWAYS think of Mom when I hear the hymn "Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel" (although, when I think of this hymn, it's a bit more upbeat and peppy). She ALWAYS has a shoulder or two to the wheel...and the wheels have been attached to various good works throughout her life.
I think of my BYU roommie when I hear "Particle Man" by They Might Be Giants. Okay, so I think of her when I hear ANY TMBG.
There are lots more songs that bring me memories, but these are just a few choice ones I wanted to share.

1 comment:

kemeki said...

I know that scent is supposed to be your strongest link to memory, but I think music has to be next on that list. It encompasses SO much more than sound!

If I hear "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" I think of my sisters and I in the backseat of our family car singing along, each with our own parts. And "Leader of the Pack" always reminds me of sitting at a gas station with a friend realizing that I like the smell of gasoline. And there are SO many others - music can take you back to a place in time; ooo - story idea of "the time machine" along these lines. Hm....