21 February 2011

Book Junkie

Seriously, I probably am. At least I'm not hoarding them, so no one will come up with some crazy show about it.
I was making a list of books that our book club has read and I was really amazed at how much we've all read. Of course, then I was even more amazed to think about all the additional titles I've read.
People often ask me how many books I read a month. It varies. Really. Sometimes I have my time better organized and have books that I can't wait to read. Sometimes those books end up rather disappointing and take forever to finish. Although, I'm also not afraid of putting a book down because it didn't catch my attention in the first twenty pages.
Yes, that's my rule. It needs to catch my attention in the first 20 pages, or it is doomed to the "Never Going Back There Pile". Sound harsh? Not really considering all the amazing books out there that I want to read in my life. I figure, I don't have a lot of time to mess with junk, so I want to get to the good stuff first. And, there are certain titles that I will be willing to give a second try if someone recommends them.
I've also been contemplating the method to my madness with my book club. The first year I did a LOT of mad reading to be able to give true book recommendations to the club. Then I was told that people didn't like the titles I chose. So, I threw it back to them. They can choose their titles. It's been an interesting collection of titles we have read this year. But, I'm not so sure this is really working out the best, either. SO, now I'm contemplating as a book review club instead of a book club. But, that isn't really what I want from a book club, either. I like to discuss books in depth, not just tell people or listen to people giving titles to read.
So, in the meantime, I'll continue my book junkie fetish and continue devouring books at my own rate and squeeze in whatever titles are chosen for book club along the way.

2 comments:

meh said...

Totally understand your "20 page" rule... but... there are a couple books I have read in the past that were really, really hard to get through for the first 100 pages (give or take). But I do agree, life is way too short and there are too many fine books to spend time on reading those that don't "speak" to us! Happy reading!

kemeki said...

I think I've gone back to those books eventually and either finished them or given them a new read. Usually. At least when they're "classics."

And hey! be nice to book hoarders :D

Hm... I doubt this other book club will be much better in your regard, but we'll think of something!

Thinking of your cycles post - I do go through reading cycles... when I inhale as much as I can, and when I don't pick up a book for ages. Sigh.