24 February 2011

No One to Blame but Yourself

One thing I hate hearing is how "fill in your town here" has nothing to offer/nothing to do. WRONG!! This typically reflects to my Grandpa's statement that only boring people get bored.
There is a ton of stuff to do in most places. It's just figuring it out and then remembering about it.
Last night I had so much fun going out with my friend "K". It was so fun to get all dressed up, go to dinner and then attend the local production of "Six Characters in Search of an Author."
I will admit, if your town has a college or university, there is probably a lot more to do than perhaps in rural areas. But, that all comes with perspective...mine being someone who is used to living in a college town (it's been 13 years since I didn't live in a college town).
So, check out what is going on in your own community. And, if you find that things are lacking, get out your gumption and start a group around an interest you have! You are bound to find others in search of something to do as well.
When I was in high school, I was really disappointed that there wasn't a drama club. Guess what I did? I talked to my Mom who was willing to be our adviser/sponsor. We put on two plays that year. As far as I know, after I left that school, the club didn't continue, but it served MY purposes! Then, I was wanting to participate in a book club here. I didn't know how to find one (I'm sure there are plenty going on), so I started one. Then I had a bunch of people talking to me about sewing and decided to start a sewing club. "See a need, fill a need" right?

2 comments:

kemeki said...

If you build it they will come!

I'm not secure enough to headline anything like what you've suggested, but I'm hoping that one day I will be.

Some people might be like me - they can find something to do, sure, but they can't find anyone to do it WITH. I just don't have the confidence to go out on my own, I need a "wing-man" and at least for me kindred spirits are few and far between (but I'm starting to see a few more of them!)

The Roes said...

I was just using that line "only boring people get bored". That is a word I do not want my children to ever use. I think it might become a 'bad' word in our home. =) I like to exercise and I found someone to do it with me. I too need a "wing-man". I'm afraid of what is going to happen with me after mine leaves in a couple weeks. =( Find a new one or join a group for something I enjoy.