25 January 2011

Perfection

This is such an interesting concept to me. To actually be perfect. What would it be like? What would I think? How would I act? What would I do?
We have a few accounts of perfect people, but we don't get to read their inner thoughts and know exactly what they did in this life. However, it does give us proof that we can BECOME perfect. Yes, even in this life.
Now, I realize that there are many out there that would argue with this statement and declare that we can't be perfect in this life. I, again, declare, yes, we can. In fact, we are commanded to be perfect.
If Jesus didn't actually think we could become perfect in this life, ie: the day of our repentance, then how CAN we become perfect later? That doesn't make sense to me. Sure, our bodies will be perfected in the resurrection, but I'm pretty sure scripture also states that whatever spirit inhabits your body in this life will inhabit your perfected body, too.
So, how do we do it? SIMPLE! (Yes, I realize that I just said that becoming perfect is simple.) The plan and execution of that plan to become perfect is a simple step-by-step procedure.
Think, for instance, when the last time you stole was. You haven't ever stolen anything? Guess what? You are then perfect in that! When's the last time you lied? Or cheated? Or ran a red light? You don't? Guess what? You are perfect in those things! Make a list of those things you have become perfect in and thank God for those accomplishments. Then make a list of small steps (emphasis on the small, because you CAN get overwhelmed...read my previous post) of other things you can improve on and perfect.
Sure, you aren't going to be perfect tomorrow, but you will eventually become perfect IN THIS LIFE if you keep working hard! Remember, Jesus did NOT give us commands (commandments) he thought we could not achieve. He KNOWS what we can achieve perfection and He is here to assist us.

5 comments:

April said...

Hey Liz, I just read through some posts on your blog and wanted to thank you for sharing your thoughts! You are inspiring! I've been thinking about all of it since I read it (I know it was only 5 minutes ago, but usually I just forget what I read as soon as I'm done reading it because it doesn't require much consideration, if that makes sense). Anyway, I admire your honesty and willingness to share personal thoughts. I hadn't read your blog for a while because I kept forgetting to add it to my linklist on the sidebar, but I added it a few days ago and will be a regular reader from now on!

meh said...

Hi Liz! -- Wonderful post! Were you able to be there at the Saturday night stake conference? Elder Malm spoke some about this, too. It was awesome (of course!). He related how the temple recommend questions and the requirement to be "perfect" relate to us in this life. Yes, we CAN be perfect in our stiving to be perfect! :o)

Boyd Box said...

Yes, Mary, we did get to be there (with kids in tow, no less). It was so great! There were so many things that they discussed at this conference that have been things Eric and I have discussed prior to and it was wonderful to get that little pat on the back and know we aren't crazy after all. Well, at least TOO crazy. =)
Thanks, April! Sometimes I post stuff like this and NEVER hear a word about it. You made my day!

kemeki said...

So... you cannot achieve perfection? In order to be perfect in something you have to have NEVER done it? Hm... I don't know how I feel about that.

I suppose it may be my ingrained Catholic idea of being born with original sin and all that, of all humans being flawed (which may in fact, be what makes us human), but that just doesn't make sense to me.

My aunt and I had a similar conversation once - I said that I was selfish, but that I struggled daily to overcome that. She said that the struggle didn't really matter in the "goodness" scale - and I believe that the struggle is what makes it so good.

Hm...

Boyd Box said...

No. Perfection isn't that you NEVER did something. It's that you quit doing it and will never do it again. Sorry if that wasn't very clear in my post.
And, we don't believe in original sin.