01 August 2009

School Days


I have fond memories of my first days of school. Mom packed our necessary items into large paper bags. I'd get excited at seeing the unopened box of unsharpened #2 pencils, the new binder with all the edging intact, a perfect pencil box, and the mandatory box of kleenex! Oh, and to have it all sorted into my very own brown bag which I would fold neatly for a good hand hold as I walked to school!! The smell of summer coming to an end and the beginning of that slightly musty book aroma.
Yes, it is tax-free weekend on school supplies!! I love this time of year. I get so excited. I'm not currently in school, nor do I have children of school age yet, but I can't help picking up a box of new wooden #2 pencils, a ream of paper, glue sticks and folders. It's like getting a fix. I just need it. And, I didn't mind forging through the mosh-pit of parents and students filling the needs on their school lists either. That for sure proves that it is an addiction!!
Emily is all about school, too. She loved shopping as much as I did today. I've decided to have some structured time with her this year and teach her some "preschool/kindergarten" concepts. For the past month she keeps talking about school (and some random rope that apparently is at school...I don't know, so if you can figure out what rope has to do with school, let me know) and has a sincere desire. Now for me to get ready to do this, I'll be trying out different things I've learned as a teacher in various situations. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Momma Sarah said...

Oh, if that's not a look of pure bliss, I don't know what is! I hear ya on the new box of unsharpened pencils. I have enough to last us at least into middle school ages/grades. I highly suggest that if she's ready and wants to learn, go for it! I'll have to send you my file for writing her letters and coloring. Abby is using that this year and she really likes it. Watch out! This 'early learning' might just take you down that homeschooling full time road! It's really addicting teaching/ learning/ discovering with your kids!

The Roes said...

I LOVED those paints! I was thinking about getting Haydn some. He loves to color and when he uses pencils and pens, he holds them at the end.