02 August 2009

My First Love

When I broke up with my first boyfriend, his mother told me, "You never get over your first love." I think this is true...but, he was NOT my first love, so I got over him fast, thus, the break-up.
My first love is literature. I grew up with a hunger to learn. I was only 3 when I learned to write my name. I remember standing behind my brothers as my mom held up flashcards of their vocabulary words and trying to blurt them out before they did. I loved the Letter People and quickly learned to devour books. I read tons of classics (thanks, Mom! It helps that she graduated with a BS in English!) as a youth. It continued on into high school and college, ultimately leading to my bachelor's in Humanities: Comparative Literature.
I have never gotten over this first love and am happy that I already see the evidence of my infatuation in my children's lives.
I've grown a fondness for historical fiction and love to read history mixed in with semi-fairy tales. Today I finished a wonderful book loaned to me by my good friend Stef. It's called Mary and Joseph, a novel by Robert Marcum. I recently finished a series called The Kingdom and the Crown by Gerald N. Lund which was about people living during the time of Jesus' ministry. This book precedes that series by talking about what Mary and Joseph might have experienced. If you are looking for a good book and to understand more of the traditions held by the Jewish nation of the time, I highly recommend it.
Now that my Reading Rainbow advertisement is finished, I really wish I had a book club with whom I could devour the "good books" of the earth. How I miss the discussion with others over classics and good reads!

1 comment:

The Roes said...

It's so funny that you say that. Laura and I have discussed how we don't have a book club up here. When she lived in Des Moines, she was in a book club and the lady who ran it always picked excellent books. They'd read classics, quick reads, fun reads, etc. She loved it! It would be nice to be able to discuss a book with someone! Good luck with a book club!