04 August 2008

One of My Favorite People

Em and I randomly go and visit one of the older sisters in our ward, Sister Shirley Furse. I adore this lady and look up to her. Emily, apparently, also feels this affection for her and has dubbed her "Gramma." The last time we went over, she started calling her by this name, and it has stuck. When we got to her door, Emily started trying to knock on it and was calling "Gramma! Gramma!" We intended to have a short visit and to return a book I had borrowed from her (she's my personal librarian, too). But, she was gracious enough to invite us to stay for lunch...and we plagued her for 3 1/2 hours!! Emily feels so at home over there...I'm sure Bro. Furse will soon have his own name from Emily, too.
I've often commented about members of the Church "getting it" and those who "don't". She is definitely one who "gets it" and that is the initial bond between us. We have lots of other similarities, too. I love the fact that we can talk about church and the gospel together and she will also play and tease with Emily. I mean, come on! She had hip replacement surgery a year ago and she'll still hide around the corner from Emily and "boo!" at her. It's fun to watch. I'd like to be that kind of grandma some day. She is just amazing and this is my little tribute to her because I want to be like her.

No comments: