24 August 2008

Interpreting TSL

Toddlers have trouble pronouncing words and parents are often left to interpret their own child's TSL (Toddler as a Second Language). I'd say that Emily does fairly well but sometimes we get quite a chuckle out of what it sounds like she says. One of our favorites it "I luh loo" which means "I love you." She also says quite often "Me outside" which means "I want to go outside" ("me" = "I want") and "Me budda" ("budda" means peanut butter). A recent addition is "Poc" which means "popsicle." And, of course, you've read about her "Mawdy" and "Dummy". Today, was a classic, though!
Emily turned around in church and saw Caleb sitting there with his book. Caleb saw Emily looking at him book and said, "Mine!" Emily replied, "Ohmeegeekewe?" (say it really fast) which we interpreted "You want me to kick you?" We had our little laugh and then realized she was probably saying, "You want me to get you?" and trying to initiate tag or tickle war.

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

Hahahaha! to funny, wish I would have been sitting down there to hear that one.