01 November 2011

Family, Distant or Close

We just got home from an enjoyable evening with our friend Mr. Jarrett. I took him the latest modifications on his book. It was exciting to print the first page to decide on size and formatting. It's incredible to be at this stage.
After fiddling with that a little and deciding on the next steps to take, we all went out to dinner with him. I was a little concerned because Gianna hasn't been herself lately and I didn't want him to be perturbed by small children in a restaurant. He was delighted and was completely entertained by her. In fact, he declared her to be a genius which I am totally pleased by. Of course, I think my children are some of the brightest and best children out there, so I'm flattered when someone else says so, too. He ended up paying for all of our meals (which was NOT cheap!) and made me promise not to wait long to call.
On the ride home, Eric and I again discussed the need for me to go visit him more frequently. I realize that the book may never come to print because we can forever tinker with it AND it keeps an "excuse" for us to stay in contact. I need to show him that this is more than a working relationship. I adore the man and don't mind spending time with him. I don't think he knows how much I idolize him and am tickled to know that we share ancestors and I can truly call him family.
I've heard people comment that they don't know what individuals do when they don't have "family" around...generally referencing immediate family members (parents, siblings). I KNOW that we create our own "family" through our selection of friends. It's just all the more incredible when a friendship is forged and then the family connection is discovered.
On this, a day when we are supposed to remember our ancestors, I want to say that I am grateful for the great Family Tree that connects us to my beloved friend Mr. Jarrett. I'm honored to be in company like his.

2 comments:

April said...

I guess I missed the post when you explained how you found out you were related. How are you related, and how did you figure that out?

Boyd Box said...

Three years ago I started doing his genealogy for him. We are connected on his maternal line and my paternal line through the surname "Eby".