09 November 2011

How To Know When a Gift Stinks

I've noticed a few things in my gift-giving years. First of all, I really hate gifts. I know that sounds really awful, but it is really true. I hate the wondering if the person is going to like it and being there to see it opened is even worse (although, receiving gifts is much worse in my book...I don't like THAT at all).
I've made gifts for lots of people and have exercised my ability, or inability as the case may be, to sew. I can tell if people liked it because I will either a.) hear about it or b.) see it worn. And, in the best cases, both will happen.
In the latest instance, I can tell that it wasn't what it was cracked up to be. Granted, the items I made were new and a whole different pattern brand was used. But, the way I know...the recipient hasn't made a single comment on it. That's okay. I guess it is different when you are paying for it versus getting a complete gift. In this case, it was my time and effort that was the gift, not the purchase of materials and that's a major difference.
Still, it just brings me right back to the whole gift-giving. I hate it and I probably always will.

1 comment:

April said...

Was this about the blessing outfit that you made for your nephew? I hope not because that was really cute. Either way, if they didn't appreciate the time and effort you put into it then I guess it's their loss. I made a quiet book for my (yet-to-be-born) niece and haven't heard any comments since I gave it to my sister-in-law at the shower, but I just hope the comments will come when she's actually old enough to play with it! It's sad to spend all that time making something you think they'll love and then not have them love it! Anyway... I don't know... I guess it's the thought that counts. I think I would always appreciate a handmade gift more than a store-bought one.