10 November 2011

My Collection

I'm somewhat concerned about what people may think after reading this, but I promise, it is all kosher and above-board. For whatever reason, I collect men. Yes, you read that correctly. I only realized that I have this "collection" today as I was pondering on people I love. Don't get me wrong, I also have a "collection" of women in my life, but I haven't had as tight of bonds with women (that isn't to say I didn't have great girls as friends...but you know, the hero-type didn't really happen until later) until my adulthood, so the list is quite a bit shorter.
My whole life, I have adopted many grandpa's along the way. It never mattered to me that they weren't my biological ones. They just always made me feel happy and appreciated and will just listen to me...or share their own stories with me. Sadly I did not have those relationships with my biological grandfathers...mostly due to physical distance and the fact that they are both gone now, too.
My first memory is of a neighbor gentleman who owned a little cafe in our town. In this case, both 'D' and his wife 'F' were like doting grandparents to me. I would skip over to their house and sweep their porch for 5 cents (which I would later spend on candy in their store). I have always kept fond memories of this couple...people who I didn't stay in contact with but ones I can't wait to see again in the next life. As we approach the Christmas season, I have vivid and fond memories of their gigantic (seriously, it was kind of bent over at the top to fit in the room) white Christmas tree. It was spectacular and I loved that my family sang Christmas carols to them every year and we received a plate of goodies in return. In my mind, that is still the perfect Christmas setting.
The next individual I remember adopting is Mr. L. He was an elderly farmer and loved to have us come across the street to visit. He wrote me a couple of times while I was away at college and I'm sure he never knew how much I adored him. I never knew his wife, but he was very fun loving and affectionate. I'm sure she was spoiled....and probably dished it out as it was given to her, too!
Another gentleman who was fun loving and enjoyed giving me a hard time was Bro. L down in Lake Havasu. He was a very handsome old man and taught me that joy is the true pursuit in life.
Next was "Grandpa W". Oh, what a joy he was! He was so devoted to Christ and read his Bible every day. He only ever asked one thing from me and sadly I was unable to help him. Still, he was this loving and kind gentleman who promised to take care of me if my husband ever left me. And I know he totally would have, had the need ever been a reality.
And, of course "Elder W" who I still look to as a grandpa figure. This was another couple who were just perfect for and to each other. They are an example to both my husband and me of the kind of marriage and family we desire to have and are striving to create.
My next grandpa became a relative. Grandaddy was an amazing man. I was blessed to literally sit at his feet and listen to his stories of his life and learn his testimony and insights to the gospel of Jesus Christ. Beautiful. A man I definitely hope I'm living worthy so I can see him again.
There are also a couple of gentlemen in my current ward who I adore and am so grateful for their love and support. One in particular, Bro. G, always finds the right moment to give me a compliment and send me sky high that I have won his praise. And, someday I will discover the "secret" identity I have from Bro. P...but he won't tell me until I'm "older." He always makes me feel beautiful.
Now I have Mr. J who is an incredible friend, distant family and finds the way to be an incredible blessing to our family at every turn.
Then there is another set of men who are more like uncles or fathers to me. Responding to an inquiry, my companion and I met the "N's" who I love both of them dearly. They really helped me to love my singing voice and, well, I bragged on them in the last post. Really, their humility and meekness is just so moving. Along the same time, I met another couple who reached out to me after the mission and helped me transition into the "real" world. They, too, captured my heart and appreciation. That also spurs me onto memories of two different bishops I served with about the same time who gave me great council and insight into truths of life living the gospel. In like manner, my mission president has been another great example and influence in my life.
That isn't even to mention the wonderful father AND father-in-law I have been blessed with. Great men. PLUS, of course, my wonderful husband who teaches me so much every day.
I just want to acknowledge during this month of thanks that I have plenty of wonderful examples of good men in my life. I am also grateful for those men who I have mentioned that honorably hold God's priesthood and have further blessed my life. There are wonderful women I love, too, but today I want to say thanks to the men of my life.

No comments: