26 April 2011

Putting Away Weapons of War

It's kind of interesting that I've been pondering this and studying this concept for the past week or so and then I had an opportunity to put my new knowledge and understanding to the test.
In Helaman chapter 15, a man by the name of Samuel was sent by the Lord to declare unto the people about repentance. If you are a Latter-day Saint, you'll recognize this guy as the one that cried repentance and prophesied the birth of the Savior within five years' time and the people tried to throw stones and arrows at him but were unable to hit him. I've often pondered on the stories of those who "buried their weapons of war" and this time, when reading Helaman chapter 15, I finally, finally get it.
I've always envisioned that they literally buried their bows and arrows, their swords and other "weapons of war". In my child's mind, I created this image of a huge, square pit where they threw them all in and then covered them up with dirt and maybe even put a marker there to remind them of why they did it. As an adult, I completely understand this differently now.
These people may have done what I described above. However, there was a lot more to it. They buried the weapons of hate, envy, malice, pride and the other terrible characteristics that cause us to war, aka fight, with one another. How many of us have actually buried those weapons of war? If we do, we will no longer come into conflict with those around us. We will ignore when people say and do things that are mean and hurtful. We will learn to "leave it alone", as Elder Boyd K. Packer's story explained. Those words struck a deep chord for me and it has continued to guide me in my personal scripture study to finally come to an understanding of the true meaning behind burying my weapons of war. I want to be included in the group that was "firm and steadfast in the faith, and in the thing wherewith they have been made free. And ...that they have buried their weapons of war, and they fear to take them up lest by any means they should sin; yea, ye can see that they fear to sin--for behold they will suffer themselves to be trodden down and slain by their enemies, and will not lift their swords against them, and this because of their faith in Christ...for because of their firmness when they are once enlightened, behold, the Lord shall bless them and prolong their days." (Helaman 15:8-10)
When people say or do things that hurt me, I can learn to let go of my foolish pride and recognize that it is never worth it to get upset, angry or whatever over it. I can just let it go. I don't need to react. Instead, I can act and make my life decisions based upon my choices and not what another may think they can force me into or make me feel. I am the captain of my own destiny and I will not choose to sail in those waters.

1 comment:

kemeki said...

There's no "like" button here - but if there was, I'd check ti.