15 April 2011

Conference in Review #4: Pain

It's hard to believe that some people don't believe in Christ. It's even more disturbing to me that there are those who believe in Christ and yet don't understand that he not only died for us, but he suffered our pains for us as well. Without that, a major part of mortality would not be covered. We deal more with pains, sorrows, and trials than with death. We need Christ in our daily lives.
A few weeks ago I had some very serious pain. It began as discomfort and was reminiscent of the pain caused by my gall bladder over four years ago. It couldn't have been that because I had it removed over four years ago.
Still, the pain was very serious and my body did not respond to any of the non-prescription medication and I haven't been given anything else to combat the pain. So, I tried desperately to suffer in silence. As the day went on, it only got worse. At the point that we went to bed, I was tossing and turning in pain. I kept thinking, "If I can just rest...If I can just fall asleep." Yet, sleep was not going to happen. I began praying fervently. I prayed that the pain would subside enough that I could get some rest. My thoughts immediately turned to other people I have known in my life that suffer almost constant pain. I prayed for them. I prayed for mercy. For hours I tried not to disturb my sleeping husband and yet wasn't finding relief. Fearing that I would eventually wake him from my movements and attempts at keeping my pain from being vocally expressed, I decided to get out of bed and hope that inspiration would strike. Still, I had a constant prayer going for help, but no relief had arrived. I was standing at the sink when I thought that I was feeling a little dizzy. The next thing I knew, my husband was crouched over me and touching my arm. I wondered how I had fallen out of bed, but as soon as that thought entered my head, my body registered the coolness of the tile floor I was lying on. It took me a minute to remember that I had gotten up and must have fainted. These thoughts were quickly followed by realizing that I had popped my lip in the fall. I was immediately grateful that when I fainted that I fell the only "safe" way, not striking a wall, a counter or the tub behind me. I then registered that my pain was gone. Eric assisted me back to bed. As soon as he had time to get around to his side of the bed and climbed in, my body was racked with the most pain I have ever felt.
I'm not saying that I have a high tolerance for pain, but I have given birth to two children and have had to undergo gall bladder surgery because of that malfunction. These things can cause a fairly substantial amount of pain, yet none of it was comparable with what I was then experiencing. I felt my body throw itself against the bed. I couldn't keep quiet and I caused Eric alarm and concern. He wanted to take me to the ER immediately. I gasped between the peaks of pain that I wanted him to give me a Priesthood Blessing. He began looking for the oil that is blessed for administrating blessings to the sick. Unable to find it, he offered a "regular" blessing. He tenderly placed my head in his lap, laid his hands upon my head and pronounced a blessing upon me. In the very moment he spoke the words that I would be able to be healed through my faith, the pain ceased. Completely. I've never experienced this in my life, but in a moment of the most awful pain I've experienced, the Lord showed mercy upon me and gave me more than I even thought possible. All I asked for was a subsiding of the pain, enough to allow me some rest. Instead, the Lord gave me a complete release of pain and not in a gradual decrease, but immediately and completely.
I guess this is why this talk spoke to me so much. I still don't know what caused the awful pains in my stomach and chest. I may never know. However, I do know that the Lord helped me through that night and even removed my pain when I could no longer handle it. Without the Savior's Atonement, I know this would not have been possible. I had been attempting with medicine all that day and by "mind over matter" all that night. It wasn't until I utilized the power of the priesthood, only available through the restoration of Christ's full gospel upon the Earth, that I was provided with the relief I sought. I know the Savior is real. I know He suffered my pains that He could succor me in that moment. My testimony of His love and the power of the priesthood is even stronger today because of this experience.
This is exactly the kind of thing Kent F. Richards was expounding upon in his talk. We can find solace, comfort, and freedom of pain, or even just the ability to make it through our trial by and through our Savior Jesus Christ. I am so grateful not just to believe, but to know that this is true.

No comments: