07 April 2011

Conference in Review

I am preparing an activity for Singing Time at church with the Primary children. In doing that, I am reviewing my notes from the most recent General Conference. Knowing that sometimes when I tell my goals, I end up failing to complete them, I still want to attempt to do this. For the next month plus, I want to write a little tidbit of something I learned from listening to conference.
Sometimes it is what we refer to as "retrenchment"...meaning, "buck up and do better". Sometimes I get that pat on the back for a job well done or at least being on the right track. Other times it may be new insight into a particular doctrine. All in all, I want to share some of the highlights for me.
To begin, I wanted to refer to a fairly recent post of my own. I took a look at modesty (my own, in particular) and got some great feedback. Doing this gives me insight to where I may not understand why people make their choices and also how I can better prepare myself for the Sabbath and as an example of the Believers...aka Saints or Latter-day Saints.
The very first talk was by Elder L. Tom Perry. He stated, in regards to our Sunday service attire, "I believe He also desires us to dress appropriately. Our youth may think the old saying “Sunday best” is outdated. Still, we know that when Sunday dress deteriorates to everyday attire, attitudes and actions follow. Of course, it may not be necessary for our children to wear formal Sunday attire until the sun goes down. However, by the clothing we encourage them to wear and the activities we plan, we help them prepare for the sacrament and enjoy its blessings throughout the day.
The bottom line is, I have been a missionary. I know what the "higher law" of attire for Sundays is and I am required by my understanding to demonstrate an honest "best" in dress. I won't be sporting leggings for the aforementioned reason of feeling they are a bit too casual in my opinion. But, I will also let others wear them and not judge them as I now understand that although I still think they are a replacement for pants (if they don't have a foot, I don't think they can't actually be considered a replacement for tights...tights are tall socks, whereas pants cover the leg without covering the foot), I now see that others feel that they are a replacement for tights and some people feel it helps them to be more modest. That's the great thing about the gospel: although there are general guidelines, each is left to determine how those guidelines apply in their lives and then does so.
And, I also have to say that Elder Perry's words were accidentally experimented upon. We went to some friends' home for breakfast that day and packed activity bags and also a change of clothes bag for the girls (I didn't want them to ruin dresses by eating sloppily before Conference). When we got to church, we realized that we left the bag of dresses sitting at home on the sofa. Too little, too late. We didn't have time to go home for the change before Conference started, so we just "made due" with the inappropriate attire the girls were wearing (that being modest denim shorts and a t-shirt...totally inappropriate as far as it not being their "best"). To prove his words, my children were completely disruptive and I was out with them on multiple occasions for behavior issues. The problem? They hadn't been properly groomed that morning to prepare them for a reverent atmosphere. I was lenient with them because it was largely my fault, but they still need to understand that their behavior needs to reflect the activity. So, I've learned my lesson and will be more careful in the future how I approach the mornings for General Conference.
He also mentioned the importance of using the Sabbath as a full day of rest. We are to rest from our labors. Not just no "work", but also, not to cause others to work. Let them have their deserved rest, too! He mentioned to take a rest from our daily cares, be it work, business decisions, and even recreational rest. I grew up in a home where we were to observe the Sabbath and not play outside or games that would require romping around. We didn't play with friends or anything like that. If our athletic team at the moment had a tournament or game on Sunday, it was a no-questions-asked kind of thing; we wouldn't be participating. Instead, we'd play board games or read books and be together as a family. As a parent, I try to implement those same things. We have extended the "rest" to include no computer/video games and that we only watch videos that remind us of Christ. Nothing that has commercials, so no TV. It's only pre-recorded DVD's. It's created a home where we can feel the Spirit strongly and we spend more time focused on each other's needs. We also visit their grandparents as a family. These days have become very special family time and I hope are things to remember. As a young teenager, we spent many Sunday dinners with my own grandparents. Sometimes we got to look at old photographs and hear stories of our ancestors, or even just our parents (I tend to view "ancestors" as those who are already gone). As a teenager, I didn't really appreciate it, but I do now that I am involved in recording my own family's history and genealogy.
There are always things we can improve on.

1 comment:

The Roes said...

That was one of the talks that I didn't feel like "OH! I'm already doing that!" nor "Oh! That's something I REALLY need to work on!" I'm kind of in the middle on some things and it has helped me to see where we need to work on things too. We have discussed a number of times about appropriate activities for Sunday. Now that Haydn wants to play gaming consoles and computers, we have cut parts of those out of our observance of the Sabbath. We still allow Haydn to play the games on the Friend website. Someone has to be close to him as he finishes a game so he can move onto the next one. He doesn't play anything that is competitive, just the puzzles and online coloring.
I loved that he spoke about taking a rest from ALL things from our daily lives. It has helped us to make better choices for our family and what activities to be part of.