08 April 2011

Conference in Review #2

In the past year, I've really come to realize how much of my growth as a person comes largely from being a parent. No, actually, it isn't the parenting part that has made me grow, it's been the opportunity I have as a parent to watch two beautiful children grow in their understanding of the world, both physically and spiritually. It's amazing to view things with the wonder and awe in their eyes.
The second talk from General Conference was given by Sister Jean A. Stevens. She talked about how children can help us to become more like the Savior by following their examples. I've mentioned multiple times how my children help me to be more like the Savior. Something I have done since I began my new calling as the Primary Music Leader is to take note of some child who does something great and then I try to tell the parents about it so that they know that when they aren't watching, their children are being good examples of Christ. For instance, one Sunday there was a little girl who was having a hard time paying attention. She wasn't being bad, she was just occupied with something else she obviously wanted to learn. She was holding a book in her hands and kept wanting it to be read to her. It was a manual from the Relief Society and Priesthood materials...Teachings of the Prophet (and I'm not sure which prophet it was). It was significant because the theme in Primary that month was to listen to the prophet...and here she was, trying hard to do that.
I'm so grateful for children and their willingness to live lives of faith and obedience. It has been a huge blessing in my life to be a mother. I'm grateful the Lord knew better than I that I could become a better person with children around me than I could possibly be without them. My patriarchal blessing mentions the joy of motherhood, and when I received that blessing I figured they must have gotten it wrong because I was NOT going to be a mother. How wrong I was!! This truly is such an incredible blessing and I'm so grateful the Lord sent me an honorable man to marry and start a family with. I've been blessed so much!!
Another lesson I learned was apparently something I thought I heard but I re-read the talk and can't find the quote. However, those who are greatest in the Kingdom of God are those who become as little children, meek, submissive, obedient, and forgiving. I thought I heard that "perhaps the greatest in the kingdom are those who seek for opportunities to serve." And, I believe that is true. I need to be more diligent in seeking opportunities to serve. My children assist me when I'm doing my work, I can definitely use their example and start opening my eyes to help others, too.

1 comment:

The Roes said...

I think sometimes as a mother (or father) we forget how willing a child is to be helpful and incorporating their helpfulness into whatever it is we are doing. I think about all the times Haydn has asked to help doing various things, no matter how great or small. Serving others MUST be important or else our sweet, innocent children wouldn't come to this earth wanting to help so much. I have made it my personal motto in life to be a good example (there's another talk about how I need to be more than an example and sometimes using words is more appropriate). I'm learning to include Haydn in daily chores, because he WANTS to help, and it's good for him to learn to help. Thanks for the reminder of this talk!