31 July 2010

The Race Question

I just finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I just read it to myself, not out loud, but I'm starting to think there is a collective cognizance in my home.
As I was eating lunch and thinking about my little note I was going to write about the novel, my daughter pipes up and starts explaining how you make colors.
She tells me this story, claiming that Daddy told her:
"There was a red crayon that was sad. The white crayon asked her why she sad. She say she sad because there no crayons her color. So, the white crayon boy mixes with the red crayon girl and they have purple ones."
Okay. So, she understands that colors can change based on what you mix them with, but she has the colors wrong. Last I checked, red and white make pink, but there's no telling her that because she is SURE Daddy told this to her.
I was a little taken aback by her use of different genders "mixing together" but she is right. No one should be sad because they are different. We're all a bunch of mixed up races and colors and sometimes you just don't know how it's going to turn out! And, we'd all do well to remember this and stop enacting restrictions and privileges because of the color of our skin.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Have you ever wondered why when red and black mixed with white, they get their own special names (Pink and grey) while all other colors mixed with white are just "light" whatever? I have. Anyway. Just had to ask.