15 July 2010

Reality Check

Back in the day, I was a decent athlete. Not spectacular, but I was pretty in shape and could hold my own. It isn't that day anymore. Sad, but true.
I started working out with some friends of mine this week and discovered that there are a lot of muscles that I know I used to have because I don't ever remember hurting like this before. Seriously, conditioning weeks for sports has been nothing compared to the two days I've worked out this week.
Worked out. Surely I now know what that means. Hot, sultry Georgia mornings (yes, even at 8am) and a body that, although thin, has almost zero muscle tone.
Now, before any of you think I'm fishing for compliments here or anything, I want you to know that I'm not working out to get the "better body". I'm just trying to take better responsibility and care for the one I have. Sure, there are things about my body that I wish were different, but that reality check came awhile ago. Now I just want a functioning body with fewer joint issues and more energy. Anything else that comes along with it (the flat, defined abs, lets say) would be an added bonus, but nothing that I am looking for.
I just have to give a shout out to my buddies who don't laugh as I shamelessly drag behind them doing lunges or what-have. You ladies are GREAT!!
(PS: Anyone local that wants to join our "free gym"...feel free to leave me a msg b/c we'd love to have you!!)

2 comments:

Em said...

I totally "feel" your pain. There is a big difference between being "thin" and being "in shape." I'm still working on the latter one myself!!

The Roes said...

Congrats on working out. It's great to have a buddy system too. You have to be responsible and show up. Keep at it, the soreness will go away. I haven't worked out in a few days because like you, I'm an outdoor type a girl. The storms have been so intense this week that there is NO way that any one person in their right mind should be out in it. I don't mind rain, but no way to lightning.