12 July 2010

Hope Thru the Darkness

We received some terrible news this weekend about an elder Eric and I served with during our missions. This elder was in my last zone and seemed happy and productive. I would never have guessed. Eric served even more closely with him, as they were companions (two or more missionaries are assigned an area to teach the gospel in and are referred to as a "companionship"). He didn't know, either.
It's hard to hear news of a friend dying, especially in a tragic and sudden way, not that any death is easy to take. However, it is through knowing the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ that we can heal.
I am so grateful that the fullness of the gospel is here on the earth today. I'm grateful to know that we have a loving Heavenly Father who will sort this all out for the family in the eternities. Only HE knows what this man was dealing with internally and God's mercy will heal the family and take care of our friend.
My prayers and my heart go out to those who were closer to him, especially his wife and new baby. It will take time for the shock to wear off and the "what if's" may linger, but God's love can heal these wounds. I know the gospel heals wounds.

1 comment:

Momma Sarah said...

My prayers are with that family and all that knew him. Such a hard thing to face, but you are right, the gospel of Jesus Christ DOES heal.