07 July 2010

Seamstressed


My niece's birthday party is today. I knew I wanted to make her a skirt and shirt set, but the skirt gave me several problems. To start with, the "instructions" were a little misleading as the sizing said it fit a child who was size 5-6. It was definitely a size 5 and NOT a 6. I'd much rather a garment turn out a little big as I can always take it in some. Starting small left me without enough of the same fabric to remake it.
MIL to the rescue! My mother-in-law saved me by offering me the fabric you see here. I'm so grateful she did this for me as it took me an entire day to get the skirt finished with all the "whoops, those are wrong-sided to right-sided" bumps in my creation. With the final skirt, I think I had to redo the lower ruffle three times before it worked out. The red portion is a bit heavy, but it also makes the ruffle stiffer. I even lined the top portion to make it look and feel more "professional" and also to make the top band a little less see-through.
The shirt was pretty easy and I left it a little long. And, what's an outfit without accessories? I made the headband and found the bracelets at the store.
I hope she'll like it!!

4 comments:

Lori said...

i can't wait to see the one for halle! what a fun talent. i need to get my machine out. thanks for letting us come see the g. pig today! halle wanted you guys to come over today after the party. i was too exhausted, haha, so was she! i'm sad em is starting school.....

Stefanie said...

SUPER CUTE! Great Job!

Unknown said...

Wow, this is so adorable! Great job!

I didn't know u sewed. I would love to learn. Anytime u want someone to teach, i'm more than happy to be your student :o)

Barbi Mecham said...

You are amazing! I am just starting to sew and can not even imagine ever getting to the point where I can do a ruffle! I will stick to pj bottoms for now :)