14 July 2010

And Then There Were...


Yesterday morning I noticed high-pitched mewing outside. I knew our cat was preggers and knew it was about time for her to have them. She gave birth in a play house we have set up on the back porch. I counted four kittens and scratched her head and fed her. We had things to do that morning and I didn't think much more about it.
When we came home, I went to check on her again, as this morning she hadn't cleaned herself up yet. Well, she had good reason to: she wasn't done giving birth! I discovered a few more kittens in the little house. Seven total!! That's a lot of babies for her first (and last) litter!!
She's been a good little mommy. I don't know that I would have the patience for 7 hungry mouths. She only gets up to leave them when she needs to stretch, eat or drink. Otherwise, she's laying down there happy to have her little brood.

No comments: