30 October 2008

Change of Season Woes

I love autumn. I love the crisp, cool air and bundling up in warm sweaters and coats. I think those are my favorite articles of clothing. However, the change of season also brings a downfall. It doesn't matter if it is changing from cold to hot or hot to cold...I end up with a cold. Ironically, I had a sliver of chocolate (and I really do mean a sliver...like the wrinkle line on the side of the cup) when I gave Emily a peanut butter cup and then my throat started swelling. So, who knows if I actually triggered this to start anyway!
If any of you have a way to boost the immune system at the change of seasons, let me in on your secret!! I don't remember this happening before my mission, but it happens every season now and I'd like to stop the pattern. Of course, at the moment, it would be nice to know pregnancy-safe tricks, too.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

Lots of Vitamin - C, and zinc with your meals.

Stefanie said...

Air borne, although you're suppose to take it before you get sick but I think it helps still even after you get sick. Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I got some homemade potato, ham, corn chowder if you'd like me to bring some over. Or just go get some Pho that always works.

Momma Sarah said...

I read about a remedy for colds that I'll share...

The best way to knock out a cold FAST is with Raw garlic.

- Crush a clove of raw garlic, let it sit for 15 minutes, then down the hatch!
If you're brave, just take it straight or swallow it like a pill with some water.

You can take it with a spoonful of honey, or with apple cider vinegar. The vinegar seems to take the bite out of the raw garlic.


- Take raw garlic 2-3 times per day if you already have a cold, once per day or once every few days for cold prevention.

For sore throats:
- gargle several times per day with warm salt water.

The kids were sick a week ago although I didn't give them the garlic, I did give them a teaspoon full of honey. (You know they are sick when they say honey tastes yucky!) Abby improved significantly by the evening after giving it to her mid-afternoon.

Worth a try...

miss said...

I swear by ehinasea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echinacea
You can buy it at any pharmacy 4 capules a day knock out a cold in 2-3 days or so. 1 in morning, 1 at nght will boost you when healthy.