31 March 2008

A Step Up from Gordon's

I'll have to take a picture when I fry up Eric's piece for dinner, but I made the most delicious meal! We rarely have fish and when we do, it is usually a la Gordon (fish sticks). Not exactly an exquisite cuisine. Eric bought some talapia last week (frozen, yes) and I figured I should use it before I forget about it. As this was only the second time I've prepared fish, I was ecstatic when it turned out so well!!
I turned to Betty Crocker and pulled up the recipe for pan-fried fish. When I saw some variations, I thought, "why not?" and threw in the ingredients for "curry pan-fried fish." I served it (to myself...Em isn't too keen on any kind of fish) with sweet cornbread (none of that bland southern-style cornbread) and our Service foods frozen mixed vegetables (yes, I nuked them as I nearly forgot my veggies!!) Not at all fancy, but definitely delicious! I liked it so much, I even had two servings!!

PS If you haven't heard of Service foods, ask me...it's been great for us! http://servicefoods.com/

5 comments:

Momma Sarah said...

Sounds yummy! I have to agree with you on that cornbread - I can't do 'Southern style'. I'm a Yank, I guess! ha ha!! I followed your link (way to go getting that in there!) to Service Foods. They aren't in WA, but how are the prices? I'm just wondering!

Boyd Box said...

I can't give you a per item price as they don't give their "secret" away. However, we are only paying $84/week on their high quality food meats and frozen veggies (and misc. house items) instead of $100/week for lesser quality foods from our other choice of a mart. We have spent less at the store, too, as we aren't there as often (only to pick up fresh items like milk, cheese, veggies, and fruit), which means less temptation to impulse buy or "did I remember to check...?" things. It's lovely never to bite into gristle (sp?) again!! OOO, and their corn is THE BEST frozen corn!!
Best part is, if anything isn't up to par or gets dropped on the floor, or you burn it, or whatever...they replace it for you the next time they come. You just have to remember what it was and the quantity as they only come once every 8 months.
OH, and let's not forget the other perk. Once you purchase, your price of items never goes up! It actually goes down after a time.
Really, I should make a post about this, huh?

Momma Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Momma Sarah said...

AHHHH! I deleted my comment, I tried to post again and I lost it... AHHHH!!! I just wanted to know what you are getting for $84/wk? And, do they really only come every 8 MONTHS??? You meant weeks, right? What a GREAT food budget to have! Way to go!

Boyd Box said...

No, they really come every 8 months. We have a freezer stocked full of meats and veggies. It's great, too because I always have food there to choose from...I just have to figure out what meal to make at last minute instead of "Whoops, I am out of chicken, but I really wanted chicken tonight and it is already 7pm."