17 January 2012

When a Pyramid Becomes a Plate

I've always been of the mindset that a good relationship with food will help you to be a happier, healthier person. That being said, when you haven't been raised with a well-balanced diet, I understand that that relationship can be a bit off. Thankfully, I was raised in a home that did a good job of well-balanced meals. Sure, it wasn't EVERY night (come on, sometimes we WERE on the run and a hotdog was the only thing we had as we ducked in and back out the door for activities), but it was more common to eat correctly than not. So, people need some guidance on how to properly balance their meals/eating opportunities to be healthy.
That being said, I always thought the food pyramid was a bit whack. It's not really relate-able and, therefore, not easily followed. So, now that they have adjusted to LOOKING at our plates, because, let's be real, things in theory are a lot different than reality, this can really help people to start realizing what they are really doing because...they LOOK at their plates when they eat!! When I am taught a concept using an image, and I later see that same image, I am reminded of the teaching. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, when I look at my plate, I will definitely remember the "Choose My Plate" system.
Here's to hoping for a better, healthier populace! And check this out, if you haven't yet.
http://www.choosemyplate.gov/ (I kept trying to make it a link, but there is something wrong with the server at the moment.) And, in the event you are interested at some studies about veggies, check out "Forks Over Knives" at http://www.forksoverknives.com/ or on Netflix. The main point I want you to listen to is the way your stomach processes on three levels to "know" it is eating right.

1 comment:

Momma Sarah said...

We must be on the same wave on this one! I was, literally, JUST surfing the web to find a 'plate' to print out so I can post it in our kitchen/ dining room to help us plan and prepare (and encourage) us to remember to eat right. I mean, we do (most of the time) but there's always room for improvement, right?