03 May 2010

What's On Your Toilet?

On it. Not in it. I don't care about the second. =)
Growing up, there was almost always a copy of Reader's Digest on the back of the toilet. I would always read the funny stories out of the magazine. It's was the old reliable and I would read from it almost every day.
Recently I've been wanting to spend more time reading the scriptures. I've tried different things to block out a section of time to devote to ONLY reading the scriptures. It's really hard with our less-than-predictable schedule and my girls who get up early in the morning.
I've done scripture journals. I've read on themes. I've given just about everything a try. I've even read them backwards to pay attention to detail (that's how you edit papers, so why not?!). I still find myself going faster than I want. I want to get into the scriptures and ponder them...not just remember story lines or what I've learned before or other things like that.
I found my solution. I figured that I use the bathroom multiple times per day. So, I grabbed one of our copies of the scriptures and gave it a new home on the back of the toilet. Now, every time I make a pit stop, I pick them up and read. Sure, I'm not going to win any scripture reading contest this way, but it does give me a chance to truly think about a verse or two at a time. Let me tell you, it works! I've had more epiphanies in the past few weeks than I have in a long time. I'm thinking differently about them because they are broken down into smaller bits for me to ponder on and I'm exposed to them consistently throughout the day.

No comments: