25 May 2010

Fairytales Come Alive

I was just telling a friend of mine that I feel like I've lost my creative side...the imaginative part of me that enables me to play with my kids. I just didn't know how to come up with an engaging storyline to imaginative play.
Well, it was quickly aided by my amazing daughter. She collected some "magic beans" (aka green holly berries) and we acted out the fairytale "Jack and the Beanstalk". Totally cute. Totally hilarious. That was then followed by interpretations of the tales of "Little Red Riding Hood" and "Hansel and Gretel". HIL-arious! Especially when Emily played the role of the wolf or the witch.
I now want to find props to go along with these stories. Emily in my red hooded sweater as Little Red Riding Hood is adorable, but Eric in the moose hat is a little less-than-frightening as the Big Bad Wolf. We have a lot of fun with this game and Emily gets to learn the stories, gets to learn improv, and we all get rock hard abs from laughing at her re-tellings. It's awesome!!!

No comments: