05 June 2009

Energy Saver; Sound Irritant

Since our house stays fairly cool due to the good insulation, we are trying not to use our air conditioner as long as possible. Apparently, this is a "game" several of my family members "play".
I remember growing up without AC. All through the summer, a box fan sat in the window of my bedroom pulling in cool air (don't watch the fan blades, it'll make you dizzy/sleepy). In our first house, Eric and I were able to cool it down with the use of an attic fan.
We've returned to those roots this year and have employed several fans for the same purpose. I will say, however, that the one downfall to this is the noise they make. I have to take a few breaks throughout the day because I can't stand the constant noise they make. But, I will take my fan noise to cool down the house. Pre-AC and electricity, people were much more durable, I guess. I will be grateful for the air circulation the fans provide.

No comments: