29 June 2009

Demolition



How ironic that my last post was about building!
Sunday afternoon we watched trucks pull up and prepare for the demolition that would begin on the house next door. Yesterday we watched the demo (yes, because it is interesting, but also because the house sits so close to the property line and I need to be aware of things that happen).
As I was watching this house slowly come down, I had another thought come to mind. I've heard from a certain individual that a "liberal arts degree" is worthless and should not be pursued academically. Every time this person says this, I don't think she realizes how insulting and demeaning she is being. I DO have a liberal arts degree. I know other very intellectual people who chose a liberal arts degree. Just because it perhaps doesn't have a "trade" at graduation does NOT mean that it is worthless. I chose my degree as a stepping stone to go on to law school and with sincere prayer. I know others who chose a similar path. The pursuit of education is not a specific career, but to be employable because you have become teachable and have proven several desirable qualities employers want. Most jobs do on-site "training" anyway. Yes, some doors are closed, but that happens with any degree obtained.
My point is thus, we need to be careful about the demolition we unwittingly create around us. It is our job to be uplifting and not condemning.

No comments: