25 January 2009

Sunday Skipping

Today is our Stake Conference. We're missing it. This is our 5th Sunday away from church (Gianna is only a month old, but was born on a Friday, so the Sundays have come faster). I will be so glad to get back to church and the fellowship with the saints! Missing Sundays is not fun. Not only is it an important benchmark for the week (trust me, as a stay-at-home mom without kids in school yet, it's about the only marker for a week), but it is important for our spiritual uplifting. We need the opportunity to meet and discuss the gospel so that our testimonies can grow and we can learn to look at things from different perspectives. I love discussing doctrine and the scriptures. My favorite time on my mission was when I served with a sister from Armenia. Because she was studying English, I had a fresh view of the actual words that were used. We studied the Gospel of St. John in depth during our time together. What powerful insights to a book that I had studied numerous times before!
Aside from those reasons, I really miss being able to partake of the sacrament. It may not appear as much to those who don't believe. However, there is great symbolism in the ordinance. I have to take a greater responsibility while I am away from church. Although I can repent and do my best to be like Christ in my daily activities, I need and hunger for the opportunity to refresh my spirit in partaking of the bread and water that represent Christ's sacrifice for me as well as my covenant and willingness to serve and follow Him.

2 comments:

Momma Sarah said...

Amen to that Liz! I always feel that something is missing if I don't get to partake of the sacrament.

Oh, and Lori respectfully requests more pictures of 'Ja-ja' (Gianna). She's sitting here asking over and over for more pictures! Too cute! She loves to see Emily, but she wants more 'Ja-ja'.

The Roes said...

After being away from the church for so many years, I really can relate to the need of taking the Sacrament. There is a lot of symbolism, yet I do always feel 'clean' after I've taken the Sacrament. Definitely some food for thought!