31 January 2009

Revitalizing Your Marriage

Yes, we have two children. Yes, we just figured out what Gianna needs to sleep through the night. No, we are not insane, although we may be a little sleep deprived.
Last night, Eric and I chose to stay up and spend time together. With his schedule and having two children, it makes it difficult to find time together and even harder to go out on a date. So, after we sent the kids to bed, we stayed up all night talking about any random little thing we so desired. It was really fun. Although I knew it came with a price (still having to be a functioning parent in the morning), we really needed the time to reconnect like this. It was like being a new couple all over again...sharing and learning new things about each other. I can't believe we actually stayed up all night (okay, so we decided to go to sleep about 5am and the kids woke at 8am)!
Eric let me catch a couple extra z's when the kids got up, but I only stayed in bed for another hour or so. I must say, it makes a HUGE difference in choosing to stay awake than to be forced to stay awake (because one child or another won't/can't sleep)!! And, although we can't/shouldn't do this very often, it was really nice to spend time, uninterrupted, as a couple in the sanctity of our own home. I mean, really, how often DOES a couple get to enjoy their home sans les enfants?

1 comment:

Momma Sarah said...

LOL! That's great that you got time together - uninterupted! Wow! What's that like? And 5 am IS all night! Way to go thinking outside the box and keeping your marriage a priority!

My word verification this time is tater... just in case you were wondering. I thought it was funny.