02 February 2008

Tears Were Shed

In the words of our upcoming prophet, "tears were shed" today during the final goodbye of our dear President Hinckley. Those tears were tears of sadness at losing such an incredible man and the inspiration he has been to many in this world yet they were also buffeted by the joy of knowing that he returned to his beloved wife and also his Creator.
I was amazed, as well, that I was able to sit through the hour and a-half funeral service with my very energetic and motion-driven daughter. I was amazed at her perception of the occasion. Several times (prompted by the ongoing sniffling of the audience members in our own chapel but also the solemn nature of the service) she question, "Okay?" "Olwight?" (baby term: Alright?). She sat in my lap and payed attention during the montage of Pres. Hinckley at the end of Pres. Monson's talk. I was grateful to have this little one in my lap just to hold and hug during such a tender event.
I love this, the Gospel of Jesus Christ that we enjoy the fullness of in these latter days. How incredible to not just believe that life continues on and that we can be reunited with those we love and cherish but to KNOW IT!! When Eric's Grandaddy (Alan Bare) passed just over a year ago, I had the same feelings. I don't just believe in the promises of The Plan of Salvation, I know through these experiences that is truly is The Plan of Happiness. God lives! And we shall all live again!

No comments: