04 August 2011

Another Talent Underway

I have often marveled at those who can play the piano. I am such a fan of this instrument. However, due to not pursuing further lessons as a child (yes, I fell into the "I don't like this" category and my parents relented...for all of us, I guess it isn't fair when you have multiple children pooh-poohing the activity), I never did develop this talent. Life continued and I pursued other means of developing my music abilities.
First was singing. I have always loved singing and this has become my tell-sign if things aren't okay because I STOP singing. This lends largely to the singing of our lives that goes on in our home, including Gianna and Emily's own versions of "My Life the Musical". I've never had any formal training, though I did sing in the choir at school and church, but I did learn by singing along side of my older sister who did play the piano. I learned both soprano and alto voice this way. Currently I get to share my love of music and singing by serving as the Primary Music Leader at church. I teach children the age of 3-12 in large group settings.
Next was the selection of the flute as my "other" musical instrument. While in the fourth grade, my parents and I agreed to this instrument and they purchased a new one for me to use and learn on. In the fifth grade I began learning the flute and played in the "band"...I'm not sure what they called it then. I continued this throughout middle and high school. I thought the flute was such an elegant instrument and that was largely the reason for my choice, not realizing how a major part of it's beauty is in the fact that it is an accompaniment instrument that sounds beautiful next to other voices.
I didn't leave off on musical instruments there. My junior year in high school we had a change of band teachers. Because of this, a large portion of students dropped band and jazz band. I wanted to participate in jazz band, but there wasn't a whole lot of need for the flute. I was fascinated by the throaty tones of the saxophone and a friend of mine and I promptly requested the opportunity to join. We went the first day to discover that the new teacher was unaware that neither of us had ever played a saxophone before. He relegated us to the storage room to learn. We had a crash course in it, administer by ourselves, and began playing with the rest of the jazz band the following week (we only met two mornings per week, so we essentially learned in two days). It was an easy transition because of fingering, but a whole new world for mouth positioning and our poor embouchures! I was so in love with this and had a few solos, which was quite intimidating and problematic since tightening the embouchure changes the sound emanating from the instrument. Squeaks ensued, but I was learning performance.
After leaving high school early, I no longer played in concert, pep, or jazz bands, so my instrument skills have fallen by the wayside. It just isn't as much fun to play the flute solo and I don't own my own saxophone, so I have let it slip with the goal that some day I will get back to it. However, I have spent a lot of time singing and was blessed to serve a mission under a president who advised us to sing at every appointment, which I did.
Since getting married and housing Eric's Grandaddy's electric piano, I have had the desire to restart my learning of the piano. I recently made arrangements to learn from my friend, Beth. Things happened and I wasn't able to start. However, she had the need of housing a "real" piano for a few months and it is now a resident at the Boyd Abode. In exchange, she has offered to give me lessons. It's fantastic! I am loving it so much!! I don't have great skills, but I am learning and she is a great encourager. I couldn't tell you how much time I am spending at the keys, but I sit down a few times a day because I love it so much. I hope that by seeing me learn the piano and loving it, my girls will continue to have the desire to learn and play and have that gift in their lives. And, I hope that they will one day exceed my abilities and amaze me with their skills. Motivation seems such a factor for children learning things like this, but it is also an effort and work for the parents to stay behind it and encourage them on the path. I know too many adults who are living my same "I wish I would have" life in regards to the piano.
So, for the next forever, I hope to be taking lessons and learning to become a proficient pianist so I can bring music into our home more fully as well as to serve in other ways in church.

No comments: