16 August 2011

Where Everybody Knows Your Name

Or at least your bike. A week into school and everyone already knows us because of the bike. Thus far, people seem entertained by the "novelty" of the bike and trailer. I really, really love being able to ride the bike. In less than 30 minutes, I can be to school, pick up Emily, and be back home. There just isn't another option for pickup for us than this because nothing can compare.
Of course, I am already trying to figure out what I do in the following years when we have larger and possibly more children going to school. I can't exactly continue to carry both of the girls for multiple years. My big hope is that Emily will become a good bike rider herself and be able to ride her own way to and from school and that Gianna will eventually get to that point as well. In the meantime, I don't mind pulling the extra weight and getting a great workout while being effective and time efficient at getting my child to and from school.
Speaking of the workout, I was a little intimidated by getting on the bike again after not riding all summer. Guess what? It was EASY!! I know you are supposed to lose muscle tone and strength after a short period of time, but apparently I did enough other exercise (building a shed and mowing the lawn, perhaps?) this summer that I was able to sustain my strength. Sure, I'm a bit slower that I will be in a couple more weeks, but it isn't killing me...at all. Even in all this heat, I'm not getting super sweaty and uncomfortable.
There are just so many perks to the bike. I should start a club: Moms on Wheels.

4 comments:

April said...

One time my mom picked me up from school on her bike. I was in like 2nd or 3rd grade and she made me ride in the backseat that was made for toddler-sized children. All the kids walking home from school pointed and laughed at me as we rode by... it was one of my most humiliating moments of elementary school and I was SO MAD that she came on her bike (she could have driven). Hopefully by the time your kids are that age they will be riding their own bikes because they might be embarrassed to ride in your trailer by then!

Boyd Box said...

I don't know, it's a pretty sweet trailer. Big kids ask for rides. But yes, I do hope they can ride their own bikes before I pull more weight behind me than on me. lol

Em said...

My kids (Logan and Landen) are BEGGING to ride their bikes to school. But since we have to take Gavin, it just make sense to take them too. Maybe in a couple more years, but then Ashton will be starting too. Oh well...they'll just have to suffer with being driven!!

The Roes said...

I think it's fantastic that you ride your bike. What a great example to your girls that there are other ways to get from point A to point B other than a car. You are also showing that exercise can be done by anyone at any age. This will impact your girls and they will be healthier for it. I know Haydn loves to run and "can't wait to get his own numbers" and be "fast like Mommy." So I applaud you as a mother teaching your children without teaching. You are fighting the fight against obesity!