15 August 2011

Dinner Meal Planning

Okay, so it isn't exactly in effect as of yet (the official start is tonight as it was only prepared last week), but I am excited for the possibilities. Eventually I will add more choices to this, but "in the beginning," there was chaos, then light and dark and on and on. So, our meal planning will begin much the same.
Last week we had an FHE on food. I feel like we are always talking about food in random ways, but that's what you get when one of your children is a budding scientist/doctor/something. Foods that are good for your body, foods that are fun to eat but should be limited, and foods we shouldn't eat ever (mostly drinks, actually).
I had this epiphany that the kids can help me make our meal plan. It's kind of hard when both of them don't read or don't read extremely well. SO, I grabbed some paper plates, labeled them for each day of the week, printed out some pictures of various dishes with the hope to laminate them, attach them to velcro and have a matching piece on each dish.
It's fun and it's great and I love having the girls join in the joy of choosing what we will have for dinner. I will just be more effective having it planned out a week in advance. Thus, I have added an important planning portion of our weekly Family Home Evening: dinner planning!! We'll see how it goes for awhile and then I'll return and report...at least to ourselves. =)

3 comments:

Em said...

That sounds fun! I always sigh when it is time to come up with the meal plan. Especially having 4 picky boys!! Well, Landen is not really picky, but mine sure are!!

The Roes said...

Sounds like fun! I might borrow that idea from you. =) I hate planning meals and getting a well balanced meal at this point seems like it will never happen.

SA Photography said...

What a great idea! We're also getting our kids in on the meal planning, too!